This page will serve as an archive for the AWP Disability Caucus agendas from each year & include information on how to access meeting minutes.
AWP Disability Caucus AGENDA 2016
April 1, 2016
I. Welcome [Jim Ferris, nominated Caucus President]
II. Introductions and Sign-In Info [Kelly Davio, nominated Secretary]
III. Business Items [Sheila Black & Ellen McGrath Smith, nominated Vice Presidents]
- Acceptance of the 1st AWP Disability Caucus
- No off-site events will be posted by AWP unless they are confirmed as being held at accessible venues. Thank you to those who helped make this possible.
- New AWP Disability Caucus website to serve as an archive & resource during the year
- New AWP Disability Caucus facebook & twitter pages to stay connected throughout
2. Approval of the Caucus Bylaws (project or pass out, made public in March)
- Secretary should put forth for a vote the confirmation of the bylaws, (circulated &/or projected now) as posted in draft form on the Caucus website in March
- Secretary should record vote (paper, hands, “aye” according to the wishes of the Executive Board)
3. Board Election (project or pass out slate of nominees, made public in March)
- Jim Ferris, Caucus President
- Sheila Black, Caucus Vice-Presiden
Ellen McGrath Smith, Caucus Vice-President
- Kelly Davio, Caucus Secretary
- Jennifer Bartlett, Caucus Communications Coordinator
- Meg Day
- Mike Northen
- Jillian Weise
- Secretary should announce each nominee then ask for a vote (paper, hands, “aye” according to the wishes of the Executive Board)
- Congratulate the new Executive Board of 2016-2018
4. Call for Panel Proposals for AWP 2017
- Call for Panel Proposals at 2017 AWP in Washington DC
- Call for reports on proposed panels from 2016 for purposes of archive & website.
IV. Discussion [Jim Ferris, Caucus President elect]
- Open Agenda Contribution #1 – Call for a SubGroup on Literary Journals
How can we encourage literary journals and publishers to view disability as part of diversity (and therefore make it a point to include it in their calls for diverse submissions, etc)?
- Open Agenda Contribution #2 – Call for a SubGroup on AWP Disability Guidelines
Including but not limited to encouraging AWP to require panels to provide the accommodation materials (hard copies, large print, etc) or risk future panel eligibility
- Open Agenda Contribution #3 – Call for a SubGroup for Next Year’s AWP in DC
How can we act now to begin planning readings & panels so that the submissions numbers for disability-related panels & readings are higher & harder to ignore?
V. Adjourn [Jim Ferris, Caucus President elect]